Friday, August 22, 2008

A Before School Starts Weekend

The kids started school on Wednesday. Since Aaron has been so busy with work over the summer and Janelle feeling the first trimester ickies... we haven't done a whole lot. Janelle and Rylie got to go to Utah but we can't really call that a family vacation. Well, neither does this past weekend, but it's what we were able to do before school started.

We went to DC on Friday. The kids have been asking to see "the place where they make money." When we got to downtown we made the mistake of parking at the U.S. Treasury building and not by "The mint" --- big oops. We had to walk all the way across downtown to get to the mint. The kids enjoyed chasing the pigeons on the walk. When we got to the mint we were disappointed with the signage that we found stating that all the tickets for the day were given out. Apparently they require tickets to get in during the "peak season" of June - August. That was a let down. Aaron will be doing a month-long TDY (work trip) in DC in October so I guess we'll do some sightseeing on a weekend when we go visit him. Well, we were tired and wanted to let the kids have some fun so we bought Metro passes and rode back near our car. They did have a blast! When we got back near the car we let Rylie get a hotdog from a vendor cart on the corner. She wanted to do that so bad when she and I flew into NYC so since she didn't get that, then I guess DC had to suffice.

Next stop: Six Flags Baltimore/DC
A pretty disappointing stop to some degree. We were pretty frustrated with the overall experience. When we got into the park we kept coming upon rides that were not operating. Finally I asked an employee (who happened to be some sort of "lead" employee) why rides weren't going. He was surprised and upon walkie-talkie investigation was told that they were having staffing issues since all the students wen't back to college. So there we were in the park only to find out that approximately 1/3 of the park was not operational. We tried to have fun despite wanting to ride things that weren't running. (Well, I couldn't ride anything because even the train wasn't operational.)




4 comments:

Jennifer said...

By the looks and sounds of it yall had an awesome time. I love all the things you can see in DC. I have not been to that six flags but looks like so much fun. I can't believe how big the kids are getting. Love and miss yall so much..
~Jennifer~

Leslie said...

Looks like you are practicing your traveling skills. Just like your day in DC, there will be bumps in your European travels as well. That really frustrated us at first but now we just roll with it. Did you know that we just extended for another 4 year tour here in Germany? We would have missed each other if not, we were slotted to leave Aug. 09.

Rebecca said...

Congrats on your pregnancy! AND call me when you get to DC! Maybe we can see eachother!

The Bryson Family said...

Hello my beautiful cousin! I'm so happy for you and the new coming baby! I'm so out of the loop that I just found out about it on your blog page. Congrats!!!!!