Well... Aaron received a phone call the other day (basically) asking him what it would take to get him to stick around for a little longer. Ugh! With the upcoming retirement from the military, we have, on occassion, discussed that we regret not taking the opportunity to live in Germany so we could travel all over Europe. Now we are faced with the question of just how much we regret not taking the opportunity because he was offered a position there without deploying (to Iraq or Afghanastan).
Aaron is ready to accept this and move on and is even starting the computer based German language course the military offers. Janelle, on the other hand, is more apprehensive about making the decision. There are so many factors to consider on how this HUGE move may affect our family (especially the children).
Here are some of my concerns:
- Our baby will only be four months old when we would move there (July 2009). While I do immunize my children, I do so on a delayed schedule and I am afraid they will want all vaccinations done before leaving the states. I do not want to pump this baby with that much in under four months. (I know, some of you will not agree with this but it is my biggest concerns for various reasons)
- Rylie will be starting her first phase of orthodontic work next week (she has to have an expander put in to make room for all of her teeth to come in). I am trying to find out if the care she will need will be available to her.
- Will we be able to find housing that is large enough for our big family (that we can afford)
- How are the schools the children will attend and are their standards high enough (they will attend a DOD school - that stands for Dept of Defense)
- We will only be able to take one vehicle. Will that be that big of an issue? I just can't see myself trying to haul all four kids around without a vehicle. I don't mind walking but with four kids I don't think it would be much fun.
- I looked up a flight back to the states and it would cost our family nearly $8,000 to fly home. I doubt that we would ever spend that much to come back to visit which means we won't see our extended family for two years.
I could go on and on but hopefully this lets you know that I am not taking this decision lightly. I know we could have a great time but I want to make sure that the family will not be miserable because of the huge cultural change. They (Rylie and Karter) are old enough to understand that there will be some differences but they are young enough to be frustrated when things are too different. And, it's not like this is a vacation we will be there for two years.
We sat Rylie and Karter down and discussed the decision with them. While a bit hesitant, they said they would go. They think it would be neat to see the castles and some of the other famous European landmarks they've seen in books.
So... we'll see, but we have to decide in the next week. Any thoughts and comments are welcomed ASAP either on the blog comment page or by email that may help us make a decision.
8 comments:
I say, "Go for it!" You were saying when we came back you wished...now your wish can come true! Pray and if it feels right, do it! I would definitely go if the cards were right! Kids are resilient and Matt went to a DOD school and he turned out ok. ;) As far as needing two cars, not necessary in my opinion. Every little town has what it needs w/i walking distance. And it's gorgeous!
I agree - go for it. Germany is awesome and what a wonderful experience for your family. I spent 5 years traveling back and forth and at one point, lived there for 6 months. I would do it again now - kids and all. But as 'md' said, Pray about it and see what the Lord has in mind.
Are you kidding me????? Why would you even second guess this! I would love to live anywhere in Europe and you know I would come to visit. I can't make it across the country, but I would totally find a way to come to Europe. Too bad it isn't France, but Germany is close enough. You would regret not going and you will give your kids such an awesome experience. Trust me....would the person who helped you get together in the first p[lace lie?
Teri :O)
Hey,
I think you should make a pro and con list and compare. So far I have read about your cons which are significant, but there are so many neat things that your children will experience that they could not anywhere else. I have a good friend whose father works for the government and she grew up in Egypt. She is so gratful for the knowledge of the world that she has and can share with all of us who have barely (or never) seen. She was educated in DOD schools and is one of the most intelligent people I know. Not only in book smarts, but in her well rounded education that she would not have gotten in the states. Besides I can't imagine you guys not keeping track of thier education and supplementing if needed.
As for the immunizations, you are not moving to a 3rd world country. You'll be moving to a huge American base that will have access to immunizations, that seems perhaps the least of your worries. YOur baby won't be able to get all those vaccines before 4 months anyway, as many have minimum age requirments, and minimun amounts of time between boosters.
Last of all, this is a chance of a lifetime. Take it! We will miss seeing you, but at lest we can talk about how cool it is you live in Germany! :)
We would love to visit and are planning a trip to France hopefully in the next couple of years...Alistair said Ramstein (Or whatever) is only a few hours from Paris by train. Who knows!
Love Tab
Hi Guys! All of your worries are so valid. It would be a very hard move. But, I say do it! It gives your family an excellent opportunity to expand your cultural experiences. You've lived all over the US and met so many people and this gives you a chance to meet more. From my experience in Spain and Portugal the European people are so wonderful and have a lot to offer. They are giving, accepting and very educated. I think your children will definately benefit from the culture socially and mentally. I think your family will grow together. Good luck!! We love you.
WOW!!! That is SO awesome! I know that you will ultimately do what you feel is best because you listen to the Spirit and follow the promptings you receive. Personally, I would love for my kids to see somewhere outside the US and get to see--if not experience--some of the challenges we completely overlook in our sheltered existences here. If I could somehow show them just how lucky we are to live in a land as blessed as ours where even people who lack intelligence are allowed to freely speak their mind even when it conflicts with what a majority of others consider right without severe repercussions. I try so hard to teach them how fortunate we all are to live in this land, but without seeing/knowing any different, they may never be grateful.
You have many valid concerns, but don't talk yourself out of what you know the right choice is... If it is meant to be, everything will work out just fine...in its own time... :)
Take care, and know that wherever you end up, you will always be in our thoughts and prayers.
Janell, I emailed you a week ago to answer some of your questions. Did you get it? If not, let me know and I can give you the info you asked for. I for one hope you come!
I'm excited for you to go to Europe and I also say Kudo's for you with going slow on the vaccinations. I mean, you know what with my sister Chelsea's son Tyler, he immediately got sick after his MMR shot which pushed him into being autistic. I'm going slow with my daughter's too. I can see why you're apprehensive on the move. Though I live 9 hours away from immediate family, I like knowing all I have to do it get in the car and see them in the same day. It's going to be hard to see the family.
Post a Comment