Here's the story:
On Friday Aaron was in DC. I got a babysitter to watch the girls while I took Karter to his pack meeting. We ended up eating our Subway sandwiches in the van while waiting for the meeting to start. I was running late on dinner and the babysitter was at our door when we got home from picking up sandwiches. I felt a little funny about eating dinner while the sitter was there. When we got home that night I was tired and not feeling well (as usual) so I didn't bother getting the dinner leftovers out of the van. Well the van was an atrocious site to behold anyways as most parents know how kids can clutter a car. (Oh that's so embarrasing!) I had a huge headache all weekend and I didn't go anywhere so the van sat too. Tuesday I just had to run to Target to exchange something. I was so disgusted with the van that I stopped at the car wash first to empty all the garbage and collect all the other things to take into the house. I vacuumed and it looked semi-decent. I've been a little annoyed by the power cord to my GPS hanging over my steering column just waiting to feel needed. Well, I don't go many places where I actually need the GPS on a daily basis so I took the mounting bracket and the power cord down and put them in the center console with the GPS. I proceeded to run my errands (Target, Walmart, and library). Rylie's piano teacher just lives a few blocks over so we walked her to lessons and I let Emorie and Karter play at the park while we waited for her. That was the only places I went that day.
Wednesday morning I had Visiting Teaching appointments. After our first visit, my companion and I were on the way to our second appointment when I noticed the lid to the center console was ajar a tad bit. I thought that was strange. I opened it up only to find that the GPS and all accessories were not there. I immediately called Aaron to see if he'd taken it in the house to update it. He said he hadn't. My heart sank immediately!
After my appointment I proceeded to backtrack my day yesterday. I spoke to security at both Target and Walmart and asked them to check their parking lot cameras. (They didn't see anything in the footage.) I stopped by the library on the off chance that they had surveillance cameras. Nope.
I came home and called our AWESOME insurance company. I know we pay a slightly higher premium, BUT it was actually covered with only a $50 deductible. YEAH! They had to have a copy of a police report though. So I called the police department. When I reported my theft, the nice officer said I wasn't the only one who'd called from my neighborhood. Apparently I was one of the lucky few, who by mere accident (I'm usually pretty obsessive about locking my car but I was so tired that night that I'd forgotten to check and went to bed) had had my doors unlocked because the theives had broken out several car windows to steal other people's items.
So here's the strangeness of it all. It just happened that it was the day I cleaned my van and had put the GPS entirely out of site. I'd also left my cell phone in the passenger's seat and yet they didn't take that. They did snag my sunglasses which were not expensive, but didn't take Aaron's Ray Bans.
Now here is where I count my blessings. Since I'd not been feeling well when I got home on Friday and was anxious to let the babysitter go home, I'd neglected all the things left in the van. This would include: a couple of large MagLite flashlights (about $40 each), my bag which also had my wallet and an extra set of van and house keys. So, when being angry about the GPS being stolen I focus on the fact that it could have been a WHOLE LOT WORSE had they decided to have their crime spree a night before!
Why, oh why, does there have to be so many dishonest people in the world!
I miss having a garage to park in at night!
Karter was so cute. After I told him and Rylie why I was waiting for a call back from the police, he sat down and made a cute little drawing to post on our door. It was of a person next to our car holding the GPS and laughing "hee hee hee". He wrote, "GPS stolen. Costs $250." He's so silly.

2 comments:
WOW, that is crazy. I am just so glad that yall are all okay. I can't believe the way that some people are it's so sad. I hope that yall got everything all worked out. That was cute of Karter to make a picture of the crime sene(sp)..
Ugh, that is so frustrating. I hope everything works out in your favor and the catch the little thieves!
Post a Comment