Okay, so now to the point of this post. I don't remember doing this intensive of geography but the kids have had tests on maps (including using a compass to find directions, what legends and scales are, etc.), the globe (including learning all the continents and oceans, what the equator is, etc.), and U.S. geography (major rivers, mountain ranges, lakes, biggest states, etc.). While, to me it is all very basic, I think about all the kids are digesting and how much sooner than I did in Elementary School. Last week the kids did salt dough maps. I got to go in and help Rylie's class make them and the kids had a messy, goopy, fun time. Karter hasn't brought his home yet, but I hope he does so I can get a picture of him with his too.Friday, October 3, 2008
Do You Remember Doing These in Grade School?
I think back to when I was in grade school and see what my kids are doing now. Things seem to be so different. I remember coloring and making lots of art projects and learning the ABC's in first grade. I'm sure I didn't even know how to read in first grade. My kids left first grade reading on a third grade level. Oh, and math... I don't remember learning times tables until I was in at least 4th or 5th grade. They are starting to work on them in 2nd grade... WOW! Fortunately I have pretty smart kids. Compared to Karter, Rylie's better at reading and struggles more with math. Karter is better at math and isn't quite interested in reading as much as Rylie (although he can do it.) This week Karter's spelling list was easy for him with words like: such, cub, cube, cut, cute, June, tune, just,plus (honestly I was surprised he had such a simple list and think he may need to be moved up in his class reading/spelling group because he's scored a 102% three weeks in a row -- maybe not challenging enough.) Here's some examples from Rylie's list: (all conjunctions) should've, couldn't, would've, they'll, where's, doesn't, might've, aren't. Well, she's struggled a bit with these all week long but we've been working hard on them. Her test is today so we'll see if she remembers all the things we've discussed while studying and doing practice tests.
Okay, so now to the point of this post. I don't remember doing this intensive of geography but the kids have had tests on maps (including using a compass to find directions, what legends and scales are, etc.), the globe (including learning all the continents and oceans, what the equator is, etc.), and U.S. geography (major rivers, mountain ranges, lakes, biggest states, etc.). While, to me it is all very basic, I think about all the kids are digesting and how much sooner than I did in Elementary School. Last week the kids did salt dough maps. I got to go in and help Rylie's class make them and the kids had a messy, goopy, fun time. Karter hasn't brought his home yet, but I hope he does so I can get a picture of him with his too.
Okay, so now to the point of this post. I don't remember doing this intensive of geography but the kids have had tests on maps (including using a compass to find directions, what legends and scales are, etc.), the globe (including learning all the continents and oceans, what the equator is, etc.), and U.S. geography (major rivers, mountain ranges, lakes, biggest states, etc.). While, to me it is all very basic, I think about all the kids are digesting and how much sooner than I did in Elementary School. Last week the kids did salt dough maps. I got to go in and help Rylie's class make them and the kids had a messy, goopy, fun time. Karter hasn't brought his home yet, but I hope he does so I can get a picture of him with his too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Janelle,
I can't believe your kids are doing stuff like that? What grade are they in? Justin is in 3rd and Evan is in 1st. But I don't think Justin has done anything much with Geography and at the end of 2nd grade last year he was just barely being introduced to multiplication. Wow! Must be all those smart people back East!!!
Hope you are doing great!!!
katie
Post a Comment